- Part Time Job
- Part Time Job
Website The Textile Institute
TEX+ RESEARCHER – 3 MONTH FULL TIME/6 MONTH PART-TIME
New Texprint – Tex+
A fantastic opportunity has arisen to lead a viability research project within the textile sector.
We are looking to hire a passionate creative researcher with knowledge in textile field.
We believe it is vital to support the next generation of textile designers in developing their commercial career, and by so doing, to recognise and promote the world of quality textiles…..and to celebrate the exceptional quality of UK textile further education
We wish to find a new, sustainable version of Texselect (previously called Texprint) which works to promote and educate textile students so as assist and accelerate the launch of their commercial careers.
Over fifty years, TexSelect (previously called Texprint) interviewed more than 10,000 young textile design graduates, and mentored and supported more than 1,250 of them to develop their careers and launch into the industry. The selection was made by panels of textile industry professionals and academics who gave their time.
However, due to industry changes, shrinking sponsorship budgets and a long-serving management team reaching retirement, the decision to close was reluctantly made in 2019.
Also, in the era of social media, designers have evolved new ways to promote their talents and develop themselves.
A new model where students submit work (physically or virtually) in agreed categories. Prizes for category winners may include paid internships or cash. Ideally this would include exhibiting submitted work (physically or virtually). We would also offer commercial mentoring or educational aspect.
To investigate if there is a sustainable, new model to re-launch – provisionally called Tex+. The model must deliver for the three key constituents: Final year students, Industry and the Textile academic community in the UK.
The new model will recommend the structure, staffing, costs and sponsorship needs of the future model.
The research is to be executed within the agreed deadlines and to a high standard.
Tex+ will be aimed at graduates of UK textile design courses – BA and MA. Identify which universities.
To identify industry partners who will commit support, whether to award the winners substantial (4-6 weeks minimum) paid work experience related to the sponsoring hosting company, or financial support, or both.
Compare digital partners to host portal or website that would allow Tex+ entry.
Research potential textile design sub-categories, e.g sustainability, knit, weave, surface design/print, innovation etc. Could be related to sponsors.
To research potential exhibition venues/partnerships to celebrate the success of the winners.
In addition to industry, also to research other potential philanthropic sponsors such as livery companies and Textile trusts.
The Candidate needs to be:
an excellent communicator,
- knowledgeable about textiles development and its areas of design.
- Comfortable working alone, but excited to question, fact find & develop, gain insight as well as have:
- Able to research textile sector & understand the requirements of industry.
- Confident communicator & fact finder
- Self-motivated, can take direction as well as suggest solutions/recommendations.
- Shows accountability for own workload.
- Positive, proactive and engaging.
- Calm, organised and detail driven.
- Motivated by working in a changing, flexible environment.
- Approachable and friendly; easy to build strong relationships – good teamworker.
- Passionate about textiles, creativity, trends and behaviors.
Needs to have:
- Good interpersonal skills, diplomatic and persuasive
- Inspire confidence through creative energy, drive and enthusiasm.
- Strong presentation and communication skills both on a one-to-one basis and to a group
- Accurate interpretation of this research brief
Those interested should respond by 31st January 2022. Please send ONE sentence as to why they would be suitable for the role, plus their CV, to email@example.com
(NB Pentland is working with Tex+ on this but this research is completely independent)
All applicants will be informed by mid-end February 2022.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to either a real-time or virtual interview.
The successful candidate will report to one of the committee overseeing the process.