Website Scottish Book Trust
We are currently open for applications for Bookbug Session Leader training. Find the course details and information on how to apply below.
Bookbug Session Leader training is for those who plan to deliver Bookbug Sessions (free song, rhyme and book sessions) in libraries or other community venues with groups of children (0-5 years) with their mums, dads or carers.
Our interactive training is a balance of practical exercises and researched-based theory about book sharing, music and child development.
Although delegates will participate in songs and rhymes in the group, delegates will not be asked to sing on their own.
Please note: if you are working to support individual families, Bookbug for the Home training might be more relevant to you.
The course will offer arrange of learning opportunities for delegates to:
– Build their understanding of the importance of songs, rhymes and stories for both children and families
– Learn how to plan a Bookbug Session, selecting appropriate songs, rhymes and a story
– Consider how to make their Bookbug Sessions welcoming, accessible and inclusive
Practise singing, rhyming and reading aloud
– Identify ways to encourage families to sing, read and rhyme at home as part of their everyday routines
Format & length
10 hours, comprised of:
– 2 x 3.5 hour live interactive online sessions, a week apart. Attendance is required at both to complete Bookbug Session Leader training. There will be a comfort break halfway through each session.
– 3 hours of Independent learning tasks (1.5 hours of work before the first live session, 1.5 hours of work after the first live session.)
Funded at no cost for participants
How to apply for Bookbug Session Leader training
Due to high demand, places on Bookbug Session Leader training are awarded through an application process.
Who can apply?
-Be affiliated with an organisation, either as a staff member or volunteer, which will support the applicant to run Bookbug Sessions.
-Plan to deliver regular Bookbug Sessions
– Plan to deliver Bookbug Sessions to groups of children (0-5 years old) with their mums, dads or carers, not just to groups children by themselves.
– Agree to abide by the Bookbug Session Leader code of conduct
– Be over 16
– Preferably, be a member of the PVG scheme(this will open in a new window)
What are we looking for in your application?
Your application will be judged on:
– The eligibility criteria listed above
-Indication of need: In order to ensure that our funded training places have the greatest impact, we want to know why the place is needed and who your Bookbug Sessions will engage. For instance, are you targeting families who are not currently reached by Bookbug Sessions? Are your Bookbug Sessions aimed at a specific need in your area?
– Your local authority area: We aim to support Bookbug Sessions to reach as wide a range of people as possible and are spread throughout every local authority in Scotland.
– Number of applications from one organisation: if we get multiple applications from one organisation/location, we may need to limit the number of spaces offered to that organisation. It is not currently possible to request an inhouse Bookbug Session Leader training course.
– Your commitment to start running Bookbug Sessions within 2 months of being trained
The online application form must be completed in one attempt so it is strongly recommended that the applicant prepares answers to all the questions before attempting to complete the online application form. You can download a copy of the questions below.
This application should be completed by the prospective delegate. If you awarded a place on a training course, this is not transferable to another member of staff – it is for the named person only.
Upcoming application periods in 2021-22
Round 3: For training courses taking place in January & February 2022
Thursday 13 January 2022, 10am – 1:30pm & Thursday 20 January 2022, 10am – 1:30pm
Wednesday 19 January 2022, 10am – 1:30pm & Wednesday 26 January 2022, 10am – 1:30pm
Tuesday 18 January 2022, 10am – 1:30pm & Tuesday 25 January 2022, 10am – 1:30pm
Tuesday 1 February 2022, 10am – 1:30pm & Tuesday 8 February 2022, 10am – 1:30pm
Wednesday 2 February 2022, 10am – 1:30pm & Wednesday 9 February 2022, 10am – 1:30pm
We are be open for applications for the above training dates until 9am, Monday 15 November 2021.
Accessing the online training session
To attend this session you will need –
– A computer, laptop or tablet that has a camera and microphone, as you will need to be seen and heard to participate. If you have the option, a laptop or computer is better. Please note a mobile phone is not suitable due to the format of the training.
– To be able to access Zoom.(this will open in a new window) Before the session starts, please check if your organisation allows access to Zoom using work devices. If it does not, we suggest that you use a personal device if appropriate. Please see our Zoom use and security policy(this will open in a new window) for more information.
– A stable internet connection. If your wi-fi is unstable, you might want to consider plugging your computer directly into your router.
– A quiet space in which to participate in the session. If one of your colleagues is also participating in the session, please make sure you are in separate rooms as your microphones will cause a feedback loop when both are turned on near to each other.
What to expect at an online training session
In our online training course, you need to have a device that connects to the internet with working audio, camera and microphone. The trainer and other delegates will be able to see you and speak with you directly and you will be able to directly participate. All attendees must be registered individually on the training course and participate on their on their own individual device. The number of people attending is limited to a maximum of 12 people.
If you have any questions or you need additional support with the application process, please contact the Bookbug team at firstname.lastname@example.org(this will open in a new window) or 0131 524 0179.