Cryptic is looking for creatively ambitious artists with innovative ideas to join our Cryptic Nights 2023 programme.
The next deadline for applications to Cryptic Nights is: 12 noon BST Mon 15 August
We are inviting Scottish based artists from all backgrounds to develop an existing work for a performance, installation or screen-based work as part of our Cryptic Nights 2023 programme. Presented in partnership with the Centre for Contemporary Arts (CCA) in Glasgow, we support emerging artists who cross creative boundaries, with live music, visual and sonic art, film and new media.
Cryptic is an equal opportunities and inclusive organisation. We want to inspire more people to discover, engage with and participate in the arts and we recognise that the diversity of our artistic programme, audiences and workforce is key to our success.
We understand there is a need to provide opportunities to emerging artists who are currently underrepresented within our programme. We particularly welcome applications from Black artists and People of Colour artists, gender identities, D/deaf or disabled and those who are from a working class or low socio-economic background. We are members of Keychange and have made a commitment to achieve gender parity across our programmes of work.
Candidates who are currently under-represented within our programme will automatically be shortlisted if they meet the application criteria.
ABOUT CRYPTIC NIGHTS
Presented in partnership with the Centre for Contemporary Arts (CCA) in Glasgow, Cryptic Nights has presented over 300 artists since 2009. Many Cryptic Nights’ artists have gone on to have highly successful careers, most notably Sisi Lu, Anna Meredith, Rachel Maclean and Yann Seznec.
WHAT DO YOU GET?
- A guaranteed fee of £750
- Support & mentoring from Cryptic
- Marketing and PR support
- Technical support from CCA
- Travel within Scotland and accommodation expenses for artists based out with the central belt where applicable
- Documentation of your work
- Free entry to other Cryptic Nights events throughout the year
WHO CAN APPLY?
- Emerging artists from all backgrounds who are based in Scotland. Cryptic understands that an artist’s creative career can emerge at any stage in life and our selection process reflects this.
- Artists not in full time education.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Existing projects that have potential for development to be presented as a performance, screening or sound installation. Please note we are not looking for work in traditional theatre, literature, music, comedy, circus or dance. We do not support commissions or new work.
- Work with original music or sound-based elements is essential. We are particularly interested in submissions that use technology in new and creative ways.
HOW TO APPLY:
- You can apply in a form that suits you. You can complete this simple form via this link on this page or send us a short video or audio file (max 10 mins). Please include details of your postcode in your application. This information will enable us to guarantee shortlisting to applicants who are currently under-represented within our programme and meet the application criteria. This information will be deleted at the end of the shortlisting process.
- Please complete the confidential Inclusion Form via the link below; this is part of the application process and supports our aim to be an equal opportunities and inclusive organisation. The information contained in the form is not shared with the shortlisting panel.
- If you would like to find out more before applying, you can attend a drop-in session on Thursday 14 July to meet us; you can do this online or in person at CCA. Please contact Fiona Haggerty – email@example.com to book your space.
- If you have any access requirements that you would like us to know about, please include these in your application. We will work with all applicants to ensure their access needs are met during the selection process and will ensure that access requirements are not a factor in our decision making.
There is an access budget to support the needs of D/deaf, disabled or neurodivergent applicants or those with caring responsibilities. We will work with you to understand your specific needs.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
- We will review your application and its potential for development.
- The shortlisting Panel is Cathie Boyd (Artistic Director – Cryptic), Claire Moran (Producer – Cryptic), Fiona Haggerty (Project Manager – Cryptic) and independent panellist Wezi Mhura (Creative Producer)
- If shortlisted, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further ideally in person at CCA.
Deadline: 12 noon BST Mon 15 August, 2022
Please note, late applications cannot be accepted.