Join us at Dance Base for an informal gathering to reconnect with our peers around teaching and community dance practices in Scotland. This event is designed as a moment for dance artists to come together with peers, move with each other and think about where we are and what we need. There will be time for chatting, time for dancing and time for discussing and thinking about what to do next. Hosted at Dance Base, for and with the wider sector.
Dates: Friday 9 September
Times: 11:00-14:30 (arrival from 10:30)
Location: Studio 1, Dance Base 14-16 Grassmarket Edinburgh
10.30-11.00 – arrival & refreshments
11.00-12.15 – class with Aya Kobayashi: an open and encouraging class to bring us together and connect through movement.
12.15-14.15 – lunch & discussion
Who is this for?
- Dance and movement artists whose practices include teaching dance and/or facilitating dance/movement activity.
- Dance and movement artists interested in connecting with and learning more about teaching, community and participatory practices.
- Colleagues from arts organisations interested in connecting with dance artists and each other around the topic of supporting community dance practices in Scotland.
- Artists and practitioners not directly involved in dance/movement practices but interested in learning more are also very welcome.
- Attendance is free and refreshments and vegetarian lunch are provided.
- Freelance artists can invoice for £65 fee for attending and contributing to this discussion.
Access Costs: Dance Base has a limited budget available to support artists to attend this event. This can cover any access requirements (such as BSL interpretation or physical assistance), child-care, and any travel and accommodation costs that are necessary for you to attend.
- Artists should download the access cost form (at the bottom of this page), complete and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dance Base will process access cost forms and inform artists if their request has been approved after the application deadline. We hope to be able to cover all costs requested, but in the case that requests exceed our access budget, we may offer a percentage of requests.
Purpose of the day
This day is about connecting with our peers. We want to create a space for discussing development needs and training opportunities that we’d like to see. We’d like artists to come to the event with some ideas about what they feel is needed to support the teaching and community dance practices in Scotland, and how Dance Base and other organisations can support that. It would be great to come away from the day with a sense of connection, and some ideas for future days/training events that the Scottish sector could benefit from.
Some discussion topics will be shared here shortly, and sent to attendees in advance via email.
SIGN UP NOW!
Apply for the event by sending your CV / link to your professional experience to email@example.com. The deadline for applications is 11:00am on 24 August, but we may close earlier if we have a high level of interest.
Discussion questions will be emailed in advance of the event. Freelance artists can invoice for the fee after the event.
Why are you paying a fee for freelance artists to attend this session?
Firstly, the fee being offered to artists to take part in this event is taken from Dance Base’s established rates of pay for freelancers and reflects the time commitment and ask of freelance artists in attending and contributing to this day.
Secondly, in consultation with peer organisations and artists, Dance Base feels there is a need to rekindle connection between artists and organisations working in areas of dance participation and engagement. The pandemic has impacted the way we work and continues to do so, and there have been fewer opportunities for us to come together as a sector to discuss the our needs in this area. We want to create a space for artists to talk about how their practices are developing, what areas they see as most important for them as artists and what role they feel organisations can play in this realm. As the day is about ensuring freelance artists can share their voices in this discussion, we feel it is important to pay for their time.
How many spaces do you have?
We have a capacity limit of 25 people for the class. If there is greater interest we may be able to invite more folk to the discussion part of the day only.
What if I can only attend part of the event?
We encourage everyone to come to the full event (11:00-14:30) if possible. Artists may attend only the class or only the discussion. Please register for the event by emailing Emili by the deadline, but we would appreciate if you could let Dance Base know if you are only able to come for one part of the event. For freelance artists, half of the consultation fee can be claimed if you are only able to attend the lunch and discussion; no fee will be offered if artists attend only the class.
For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download the access cost form here: