Website BECTU Vision
Movie Magic Scheduling is the most widely used production scheduling software application. This course will teach learners how to break down and analyse the script to create informative and flexible schedules. A schedule is the “bible” for a film or TV production and its careful preparation is vital to a successful shoot. Understanding what all the significant elements are and then knowing how to fit them together in the most efficient way is key to a successful schedule and a successful shoot. This particular course takes time to explore and explain both the software and the processes involved – the training goes beyond the HOW and looks at WHY certain choices and decisions are made.
Who is this course for?
Assistant Directors, Production Managers, Line Producers, Producers and Accountants.
The course will be taught online via Zoom. The tutor will be using Movie Magic Scheduling Version 6. Temporary software licences are available for use during the training course.
• Overview of script breakdown and scheduling
• Introductory overview of scheduling
• Breaking down the script with MM
• Practical exercise – breakdown training script
• Scheduling on the strip board
• Exercise in scheduling – schedule training script
• Overview of reports, strips, and day out of days
• Overview of design
• Designing reports, strips and day out of days
Movie Magic Budgeting is the industry’s most widely used production software. The flexible format allows users to create and edit comprehensive budgets of all sizes for all types of productions. This particular course takes time to explore and explain both the software and the processes involved – the training goes beyond the HOW and looks at WHY certain choices and decisions are made.
Who is this course for?
Production Managers, Line Producers, Producers and Accountants and anyone who intends to move up within Production or the AD departments.
– General introduction to budgeting
– Overview of Movie Magic version 10
– Working with Set Up Tools [Currencies, Globals, Fringes, Groups, Shortcuts]
– Working at the detail level – set up shooting crew and equipment
– Introducing your schedule to your budget
– Setting up the Top-Sheet
– Setting preferences
– Review getting from script to budget
– Q&A on the software and procedures
The course will be taught online via Zoom. The tutor will be using Movie Magic Budgeting Version 10. A one-month free trial of the software is available for use during this training course.
The course tutor, Brian Donovan, is a Producer, who developed this course and has taught it in the UK and abroad for several years. Brian’s professional credits as Line Producer / UPM include: Mission Impossible, Justice League, Allied, Knights of the Roundtable: King Arthur, Pan, Dracula, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, Red Tails, The Last Station, Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith. Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones and Bridget Jones’s Diary.
These sessions are specifically for established film and television practitioners based in Scotland. Please only apply if you meet this criteria. BECTU opportunities for those in other areas of the UK can be found here: Wales and England
Movie Magic Scheduling 13-17 December 2021
Movie Magic Budgeting 10-14 January 2022
Applications are invited for the combined or individual courses.
Applicants should be based and working freelance in Scotland.
Applicants should have basic computer skills.
Applicants should be working professionally in scripted production, in one of the grades outlined above.
Students are not eligible for this training.
Priority will be given to eligible BECTU members.
– Applications will be assessed based on suitability for the course. Eligibility checks may be conducted.
– If the course is oversubscribed, those applicants who demonstrate the greatest professional need for this training will be prioritised.
– Places are provided free of charge but are worth a considerable amount. Successful applicants who do not attend the full course, or do not give more than 24 hours’ notice of cancellation, will be subject to a non-attendance fee of £50.
– Please only apply if you are able to attend ALL of the dates of the course you are applying for.
The deadline to apply is 9am, Tuesday 24 November 2021
This course has been arranged by BECTU Vision through Scottish Union Learning and is funded by The Scottish Government.
If you have any queries please email firstname.lastname@example.org