Website Edinburgh International Film Festival
EIFF invites Scotland-based writers from under-represented groups to apply for the second edition of Script Starter.
Script Starter will provide writing talent in the early stages of their careers with a fantastic opportunity to develop their screenwriting skills, hone their creative voices and increase their confidence within the film industry.
Script Starter will support 8 writers who are either new to screenwriting, or who haven’t received previous funding for a film and who already have an idea for a story that they would like to work on. The selected participants will be supported in the development of their ideas into either a short film script or a feature film treatment.
The programme will encourage those with a clear talent for writing – in any genre – to turn their hand to writing for film or to come to a more defined and nuanced appreciation of story structure and industry standards.
Script Starter will also further a clearer understanding of the writers’ own creative voice and participants will finish the programme with a clear idea of the story that they want to tell and the options available to them, enabling them to move forward in the industry.
The programme has sought applications from the following under-represented groups:
- Those from low-income/socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds
- Black, Asian, mixed heritage and ethnically diverse applicants
- Those from refugee and/or migrant backgrounds
- Disabled or D/deaf applicants
- LGBTQIA+ applicants
- Rurally excluded people
- Care-experienced applicants and current carers
We are also committed to a minimum of 50% of selected applicants identifying as women.
Script Starter will take place across seven workshops between July and December 2022. Workshop dates are as follows:
- Workshop 1 – Saturday 23rd July
- Workshop 2 – Saturday 20th August (potentially in person)
- Workshop 3 – Saturday 10th September
- Workshop 4 – Saturday 1st October
- Workshop 5 – Saturday 29th October
- Workshop 6 – Saturday 19th November
- Workshop 7 – Tuesday 13th December (potentially in person)
The programme will be flexible to ensure that any delivery timelines and workshop content are accessible and manageable for all participants. Workshops will focus on areas ranging from character development, to presenting with confidence.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Read the application guidelines carefully and in full.
- Complete the online application form
- Complete the online equal opportunities monitoring form.
Deadline for applications: Thursday 26th May at 12 noon
If you have any queries, please get in touch with us at email@example.com.
Script Starter is funded through the PLACE Programme, a partnership between the Scottish Government – through Creative Scotland – the City of Edinburgh Council and the Edinburgh Festivals.