Website Hoxton Mini Press
- Title: Publishing Assistant at Hoxton Mini Press
- Application closing date: 10pm on Sunday 6th February
- Salary: £22–26k, dependent on experience
- Start date: March 2022 or ASAP
- Interviews: during February (at least two rounds)
- Location: Working in our studio overlooking the canal by London Fields (Covid-dependent: WFH will be possible in the meantime)
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We are looking for an enthusiastic Publishing Assistant with exceptional organisational abilities and an interest in art, photography and design to help produce our books and coordinate our team. You must have a keen eye for detail, be able to manage a fast-moving and varied workload, be a great communicator and have a strong interest in all areas of visual culture. This is a great opportunity for anyone looking for hands-on experience in all aspects of publishing including production, e-commerce, editorial and design. As we are a small team who work closely and openly with each other the role will allow you to learn about and contribute to almost all areas of the publishing process.
WHO ARE WE?
Hoxton Mini Press is a young independent publisher based in east London. Our goal is to make art books more affordable and accessible (while still making them beautiful enough that you’ll pass them down to your grandchildren). In the past five years, we have received critical acclaim from the likes of Martin Parr, Time magazine, the Guardian and have won multiple awards for design, publishing and production.
We are a very small team who care. We care about each other, we care about the environment and we care deeply about every book we make. You’ll need to have excellent attention to detail and a calm, positive and flexible work ethic – even when under pressure. You will be able to work off your own initiative but equally you’ll be willing to be a part of a growing team and be happy to be involved in all aspects of the publishing process. Almost everything we do is shared. Sometimes that includes deciding on a book’s title and print run, sometimes the frustration of trying to fix the printer.
WHAT IS THE ROLE?
The role will be primarily organisational but will span all aspects of publishing, supporting editorial, production and design. You will undertake project research, help with general admin, oversee parts of our e-commerce, manage customer emails, work on idea generation, source and contact freelancers, produce creative assets for social media, web and newsletters, and assist with proofreading and fact checking, while also helping to run our small office. This is a highly varied, interesting but challenging role for someone looking for a springboard into a number of different areas of publishing.
- Day-to-day administration / office management – general office upkeep and managing our inbox – dealing with customers, press, submissions, and general enquiries
- E-commerce – processing and fulfilling online orders, stock transfers and liaising with our fulfilment warehouse
- Research – project research and idea generation, sourcing freelancers, picture research, image licensing and ensuring our databases are up to date
- Editorial – helping manage our titles from concept through to publication, liaising with freelancers, helping to coordinate shoots, proofreading and fact-checking copy
- Online – helping schedule engaging content for all social media channels, helping manage social media inboxes, updating our website, helping draft newsletters, producing creative digital assets
- Events – helping to coordinate launches, bookfairs and pop-up shops and often representing the company at these events
WHAT SKILLS DO YOU NEED?
- Strong organisational qualities, the ability to manage multiple tasks at the same time and experience in prioritising under pressure.
- A very good understanding of Excel.
- Good communication skills and the ability to work with a wide range of people.
- An excellent eye for detail.
- Brilliant time management and the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- A basic understanding of Adobe (primarily Photoshop and InDesign)
(Please note: you must be dog-friendly as we have two lively mini-schnauzers in the office)
There will be two rounds of interviews. The first will be 20 minutes long and will be conducted by Zoom, the date is tbc. The second, should we both wish to proceed, will be longer and you will be expected to complete a short but fairly demanding test on the day to assess your skills and knowledge.
APPLY BY: 10pm on Sunday 6th February