Everything You Need to Know About Intellectual Property
May 12 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
In the creative industries the currency is imagination, ideas and innovation so understanding how to protect your creations is key to your long term success. This masterclass session, led by Scotland’s leading expert on IP, Phillip Hannay, will focus on the essential areas you should be aware of with intellectual property. Phillip will highlight common pitfalls all creative businesses face and myth bust frequently misunderstood laws.
You won’t want to miss this opportunity to really get to grips with how to protect your IP and maximise the impact and grow of your creative business.
Who’s it for
- Any creative with a product or service-based business that could need protecting
- Any creative who is developing a product or service and wants to ensure a good understanding of IP issues
- IP in a Creative Context
- How IP really works
- Pitfalls and common mistakes
- Case studies – challenges in ownership
Philip is widely acknowledged as Scotland’s leading expert on IP, he is a multiple award-winning UK corporate lawyer and IP litigator (reg. Law Society of Scotland). And his accolades include:
- UK Notary Public (registered with the Foreign & Commonwealth Office).
- Over 55 years (combined) of active board experience through executive, non-executive, company secretarial and honorary appointments (principally digital, creative industry and third sector).
- Featured in Who’s Who in Corporate Law / Corporate Finance every year 2008-2019.
- Twice awarded (in consecutive years) the title ‘IP Lawyer of the Year’ by the Law Awards of Scotland.
- Co-convener and Chair of the Scottish Intellectual Property Conference 2012 (IP Dispute Resolution) and 2011 (IP Valuation).
- Career work/legal articles and comment/interview covered by the BBC, New York Daily News, The Sunday Times, The Herald, The Scotsman, The Daily Record, The Sun, Metro, Evening Times, Aberdeen Business News, The Drum, M&A Magazine, The Firm, The Journal, E-Commerce Law & Policy and Young Company Finance, together with numerous legal, trade and business blogs and e-zines.
- Spoken at international conferences in New York (USA) and Prague (Czech Republic); guest lectured at the business and law schools of University of Aberdeen, Robert Gordon University (Aberdeen), University of Glasgow, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow Caledonian University, University of Edinburgh and Edinburgh College; given keynote/guest address at various Chamber of Commerce, Federation of Small Business, Business Gateway, Creative Scotland, Cultural Enterprise Office, Creative Edinburgh, Scottish Artists Union, Federation of Scottish Theatre, Scottish Borders’ CABN (Creative Arts Business Network), Communications Breakfast and Business Banter events.
- Broadcast appearances: BBC (re international trade), Education Scotland “Glow TV” (re protection of invention)